Christmas eve is finally here! How many of us have been longing for this day to arrive, each passing hour accented by the scent of vanilla cookies baking, the surprise in opening a new window of our advent calendar, and that manic joy of wrapping a bottomless pit of presents whilst humming carols? My advise, from a Christmas celebration enthusiast to you, is to shameless enjoy this magical time, indulge, give, share and receive with glee, it is only once a year after all. And, of course, make sure you leave a good supply of home-made cookies for the Old Fella himself! Word has it that he is an avid consumer of cinnamon cookies, and so these russet, spiced beauties await his arrival…
And so do I.
Merry Christmas to all! xxx
INGREDIENTS, makes 12-16
100 gr (3/4 cups) icing sugar, plus more for dusting
150 gr (2/3 cups) of soft butter
150 gr (1 cup and 1/3) of self raising flour, 100 gr (3/4 cup) of plain flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or paste
1 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
1-2 tablespoon of milk (optional)
cinnamon sugar for dusting on top
1. Work the icing sugar and butter together until creamy and smooth (you can do it by hand or using a standing mixer)
2. When the mixture is creamy, add the flour, 1 table-spoon of corn starch, a teaspoon of vanilla paste and the cinnamon. If the dough is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoon of milk.
3. The cookie dough will look and feel sticky. Use a spatula to scrape it onto a sheet of baking paper. Roll it up in the shape of a sausage and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, preferably overnight.
4. Once it’s rested and feels firm, slice it up into 1/2 cm rounds and put them back in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Bake at 170 C, 340 F, for about 15 minutes, or until the edges start to color. Cool at room temperature. Dust with cinnamon sugar and and serve with a tall glass of milk and a note to Santa…
SILVIA’S CUCINA is available in stores and online!
MADE IN ITALY is available here, here and here
LA DOLCE VITA is available online on Amazon and here
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram
11 Comments Add yours
Buon Natale. 🙂
Anche a te!
Buon Natale – the cookies will be something I’ll be enjoying next year. I’m sugared and cookied out for the year. I bet these are delicious with a cup of coffee! Cari saluti!
Yes, I think I’m sugared out too!!
These look like delicious cinnamon shortbread. Too late fir me now but I think they’d be great anytime of the year. I love cinnamon!! Buon Natale!
Indeed!No need to wait for Santa!! Xx
Thanks for posting Silvia. Made a double batch with my kids early this morning and took some round for our neighbours. Some are for Santa 😉 and the rest are in the freezer for the school hols. So, so delicious and very easy. Love just slicing the rolled dough rather than fiddly cutter shapes which are impossible on a humid summer’s day. Merry Christmas to you!
I hope Santa loved too! Xx
Nice post Silvia,cinnamon cookie looks simple & tasty!!Thanks.
Santa sure loved them!