Hi, my lovely, hungry friends, here are the recipes from our third episode of Wok X Pot , starring Marion Grasby and myself. The show is currently streaming on my (and on Marion’s) YouTube channel!! Please subscribe so we can keep producing more!!! Share the love, and leave us a comment, we love to hear from you!
Have you ever wondered how to cook the perfect spaghetti vongole? Or have you always wanted to make a super quick and super delicious spicy prawn stir fry? Read on…
Marion and Silvia
Watch episode 3 (20-minute dinners) here WOK X POT
350 gr (3/4 packet) of Spaghettini or Linguine
2 Garlic cloves
1 red chilie (or half, according to what heat intensity you can handle)
Parsley (leaves and the tender bits of the stalks), about 1/3 cup
1 kg Vongole
Good quality extra Virgin Olive Oil, about 4 tablespoons
Good quality dry white wine**, about 1/3 cup
Chopped parsley to serve
1. Fill a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil.
2. Take your spaghetti or linguine, drop it the pot, stir through so that they don’t get stuck to the bottom and let it bubble away for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the pasta is boiling, put a large frying pan on the stove with a little extra-virgin olive oil. Heat it up and drop in garlic, chilly and parsley mix and let sizzle for about 15 seconds, then add a good splash of white wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly, keeping in mind that vongole will add their sapid kick to the dish.
4. Drop your clams in, cover with a lid. They will take about 2 to 3 minutes to open up and release their beautiful juices. Once opened, lift them out with a slotted spoon and set aside.
5. Drop your 3/4 cooked pasta in the vongole and wine juice adding some of the pasta cooking water, enough so the spaghetti can finish to cook until al dente and the sauce creamy in texture.
Turn off the heat and add your cooked vongole, chopped up parsley leaves and extra chillie, if you like it.
Spicy Prawn & Basil Stir-fry (Pad Grapao Goong)
6 birds’ eye chillies
6 garlic cloves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
300g (10 oz) peeled and deveined prawns
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp white sugar
1 heaped cup of holy basil*
Steamed rice to serve
Use a mortar and pestle to bruise the garlic and chillies.
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic and chillies and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the prawns and stir-fry until almost cooked. Add the oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar and stir-fry for another 1 minute or unti prawns are cooked. Turn off the heat and toss through the basil. Serve with steamed rice.
- Holy basil (called ‘bai grapao’ in Thai) is also known as hot or spicy basil. It can be found at Asian or Thai-specialty grocery stores. Substitute Thai basil or regular Italian basil if unavailable.
CHECK OUT WOK X POT HERE
My new book LOVE, LAUGH, BAKE is out now!!!!