The Christmas season is heralded in my house with the inebriating smell of sweet treats baking in the oven, may they be my almond pastries, favoured by my boys for their resemblance with Rudolph’s red, shiny nose, or my dad’s morsel of choice, soft hazelnut cookies. These rustic looking nuggets are simply irresistible and they can happily carry you throughout your busy festive day: perfectly dunked in your morning coffee, afternoon tea or after dinner digestivo, they are sure to become your new best friend. The fact that they are rolled and baked in under 30 minutes will make them highly addictive…You are warned!
INGREDIENTS, makes 20
2 egg whites
1 cup of hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
1-1/2 cup of icing sugar, plus more for rolling the cookies in
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, or the seeds from half vanilla bean
1. Heat up your oven to 180 C (350 F)
2. Mix egg whites, gournd hazelnut, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl until a thick paste forms.
3. Pinch off small bits of paste to shape balls the size of a large walnut.
4. Generously roll the balls in plenty of icing sugar.
5. Place the cookies, well distanced apart, onto an oven tray lined with baking paper.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cracked and beautifully puffed up.
Cool at room temperature and merrily consume with glee.
- #recipe Torta di Nocciole | Hazelnut cake (secretfoods.wordpress.com)
- The Great WHO’s Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies (sonjaandersonbooks.wordpress.com)
- Dairy-Free Hazelnut Crescent Rolls (dairyfreeswitzerland.wordpress.com)