Whoever said that Sydney doesn’t really have a winter is a big, fat liar! This is my fifth Sydney winter and I can safely say, it does get cold, it does get wet, it definitely does have a winter. I have made the assumption that Australians are in denial about winter because every time I meet some Aussie friends all bundled up in woollen scarves and hats, I am told “This is the first time it gets so cold, this year I have to buy a heater”. Luck for me, I am now prepared for what’s ahead of me in the months to come and , along with coats and boots I have an array of weather-appropriate recipes like stews and soups.
Ingredients for 4 people
3 French Shallots or 1 medium sized brown onion, chopped up
3 tablespoons of Extra-virgin Olive oil
1 medium sweet potato, chopped, skin on (well washed!)
1 chunk of smoked pancetta, ham hock or speck (or chorizo)
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup of puy lentils
2-4 leaves of cavolo nero or kale, chopped up, stalked removed
Parsley, chillie oil or chillie, lemon zest to serve
1. Stir-fry the shallots in a medium saucepan with 3-4 tablespoon of extra-virgin little olive oil. Add the chopped up sweet potatoes (skin on, thoroughly washed) and the smoked pancetta, or smocked ham hock. Stir-fry together with the onion for a few minutes, add the lentils, the stock and enough water to cover the vegetables. Simmer on medium-low heat for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and the lentils are cooked.
2. Add a couple of shredded cavolo nero* leaves (stalk removed) and let the residual heat wilt it.
3. Serve in a bowl drizzled with chillie oil or chopped up chillies, parsley leaves and finely grated lemon zest, if you like a bit of kick.
Curl up on the couch with a blanket, your favourite book or your favourite person…
* Cavolo nero is an Italian dark-green cabbage. You can substitute it with kale.
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook , Twitter and Pinterest
- Ribollita’s (Soup’s) on! (ginalondon.wordpress.com)
- The Perfect Autumn Soup (4mothers1blog.com)
- Late Snack: Kale Chips (outsideonline.com)
- Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew (thefoodclique.com)
6 Comments Add yours
Logged into your blog having read The Age back page today. Have made your delicious sweet potato soup and citrus shortbreads. Yum!!
Thanks Mandy! SO happy you tried my recipes, keep cooking! Silvia
Hi Silvia ! We met last Saturday night at your play…I was trying to contact you when I came across your blog which is fantastic! I made your lentil soup and it is absolutely delicious! I hope we can meet again next time you are down in Melbourne, send me an email! Xox Lucie.
Hi Lucie! SO nice to hear from you!
I’m really happy you liked that soup, it is one of my favorites! I will be in touch for sure next time I;m in Melbourne, what a shame I only got to meet you on my last night there!
your recipes do not show salt carbs etc
They are not meant to. I am not a nutritionist and it’s not my job to do so.