As I was walking in my garden last Sunday, I noticed that my lemon tree was suddenly looking heavy with ripe, juicy, bright yellow fruits. These home-grown lemons with a rough and gnarly peel make the best Limoncello and Gin&Tonic, but my alcohol intake being limited by the joys of breastfeeding, I resorted to pick a few and bake them in an almond and lemon torta. What a sweet consolation that was!
INGREDIENTS, serves 8
3 whole eggs
200 gr (1 cup) caster sugar
75 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil (or plain olive oil, or canola oil)
170 gr of full cream ricotta, well drained
210 gr (2 cups) of sifted self-raising flour
70 gr (2/3 cups) of almond meal (almond flour)
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, juice of 1
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste or extract (or half of a freshly scraped pod)
1 tablespoon of Amaretto liquor
1. In a bowl, beat eggs with sugar until pale and creamy
2. Add oil and Ricotta and incorporate until smooth
3. Add flour and almond meal and incorporate gently into the eggs mix then add the lemon zest and juice, vanilla and a tablespoon of Amaretto (Italian almond liqueur).
4. Pour the batter in a cake tin (buttered and floured) and bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C (340 F) for about 35/40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin before serving.
Dust with icing sugar and help yourself to a large slice…
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram
- Apple, Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and Ricotta Muffins (silviascucina.net)
- Olive oil ricotta cake (susanwennerstrom.com)
- Torta di limone Aka Lemon tart….. (greedybread.wordpress.com)
- Cinnamon Ricotta Banana Cake (unihomemaker.com)
6 Comments Add yours
Grazie Maria Francesca!
Hi! Could you tell me where you got that cake tin? It’s beautiful! Thanks 🙂
I seem to remember it came from a shop called Al Fresco, in Sydney. I’m sure you can find it online as well.
Congrats on the show! My daughter and I have enjoyed it so far. I’m a little confused however, the episode we saw was the one with the Ciambella. The confusion is this the recipe used on the show is different then the one on this website. The recipe for the torta di moadorle ricotta e limone is the recipe you used on the show. Which one is the right one for the Ciambella? the torta uses Amaretto liquor but the Ciambella on the website does not. Please help. Grazie Katarina
all the recipes from my show are on the SBS website http://www.sbs.com.au/food/programs/made-in-italy?gclid=CO720KHxgsMCFdgRvQodp7sAfg