Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pride and excitement that I present to you a spectacular bowl of HEALTH! The mega properties of quinoa have been unveiled by fervent nutritionists all over the globe, but for those you have missed out on the latest food craze, here is a little insight on why this seed is soon to become you new best friend: quinoa is incredibly high in protein, is rich is dietary fiber and phosphorous, and is an excellent source of iron and magnesium, as well as calcium. Good news is that it is gluten-free and suitable for vegans and those who need to keep away from wheat. But, best of all, it tastes beautiful when paired with a few fresh ingredients and gently coated with luscious extra-virgin olive oil.
INGREDIENTS, serves 4
1 cup of uncooked brown quinoa
4 skinless chicken thighs
1 cup of green beans, topped and tailed
1/2 cup of shelled walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley, chopped
3-4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
a squeeze of lemon
1. Rinse the quinoa under cold water, place in a pot covered with water by 2 cm (1 1/2 inch). Bring to a simmer, cover with the lid and cook over low heat for 12-14 minutes or according to packet instructions. Turn off the heat and allow to cook a bit more with the residual heat from the pot. I like quinoa to have a bit of a bite, shall we say and Al Dente personality, but feel free to cook it longer if you favour a softer texture.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, steam or blanch the green beans. I like to cook them for 3-4 minutes and then rinse them under cold water to preserve their vibrant green hue.
3. Grill the chicken thighs on the BBQ or on a griddle pan, over medium high heat, until nicely caramelized and cooked through. Rest on a plate for 5 minutes to allow the flesh to relax. For a meat-free option, you can replace the chicken with poached eggs or grilled tofu.
4. Toast the walnuts in a dry pan until they smell fragrant. Set aside.
5. To serve, mix quinoa, beans, parsley, walnuts in a bowl and season with 3-4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper. Arrange on a platter, top with grilled chicken (or eggs, or tofu) and enjoy!
- Grilled Chicken with green beans and salad (bakeratheart.com)
- CSA Week 18: Butternut and Arugula Quinoa (smellslikebrownies.com)
- Warm Quinoa Shrimp Salad (ordinarydayinparadise.wordpress.com)
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram
Silvia’s Cucina the cookbook is now available in stores and online!
12 Comments Add yours
YUM – this looks so good!
Oh, thanks! I have fallen in love with quinoa…
Many thanks for sharing – looks very tasty
Thanks Sandra, lovely to have you here.
Healthy, but also absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful stuff!
Practically a beauty treatment for the insides!
Just looking at it and I feel healthier already!
How funny! Then my job is done! x
This looks great! I love quinoa, and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks!
Oh, Thanks Adri. I am relatively new to the wonders of quinoa, but I have to say I truly love it already.
I love quinoa. Always love seeing what other ideas there are for it.
And the great thing is that you feel good about yourself eating it because it’s so good for you! Win-win