My name is Silvia Colloca and I am an Italian-born food lover living in Sydney, Australia.
In Silvia’s Cucina
, you are invited into my kitchen to share the unfussy, delicious, recipes that have been passed down through my family for generations. My food is traditional, authentic and mostly simple, and embedded in it is the legacy of the hands of my mother and grandmother (those hands, always at work on some sauce or buried in dough!).Since leaving Italy eight years ago, I’ve seen, of course, how much Italian food is loved around the world. But I’ve also come to understand that it is a cuisine that is perceived as rich and fatty, to be approached occasionally, and then with some caution.In Silvia’s Cucina, I am striving to change this misapprehension, by showing how to cook everyday authentic, healthy Italian food. For although the Mediterranean diet allows the occasional indulgence in rich and festive foods, people are amazed to learn just how little fat is required in everyday Italian cooking. They are also surprised to know that not every plate has garlic. Neither does it have to be dusted in parmigiano and black pepper, nor submerged in olive oil.Italians are fiercely passionate and opinionated about their food, its preparation and its consumption, and I am no exception!
Follow me on Silvia’s Cucina and I hope you will find my private insight of Italian family home-cooking joyful and inspiring.
Photo by Luke Stambouliah
10 things you should know about me
1. I am a self-proclaimed food lover
2. Although I have no official cooking training, having been exposed to Mamma and Nonna’s cooking since I was born has to count for something!
3. I am a professional actress both for stage and screen (big and small)
4. I have played the Vampire Queen twice! First in Universal Pictures’s VAN HELSING, then in UK’s comedy LESBIAN VAMPIRE KILLERS (no kidding! and no, it is NOT porn…)
5. I am also a professional Opera singer and I attended Milan’s SCUOLA MUSICALE for 4 years.
6. I have had the joy of singing in Europe’s most beautiful theaters such as The London Palladium, Berlin’s Tempodrom, Milan’s Teatro Nazionale, among others.
7. I have become an Australian citizen in July 2013
8. I am married to Richard. We met during the shoot of VAN HELSING. He played Dracula, I played his bride!
9. Both my children Raphael and Miro are bilingual. And cheeky.
10. In July-August 2012 I played the role of The Bride in Malthouse Theatre production of Lorca’s BLOOD WEDDING, in Melbourne. I cooked for my cast mates most nights after the show and in between matinee and evening shows! In April-June 2013 I co-starred in Griffin Theatre production of THE BULL, THE MOON AND THE CORONET OF STARS. I cooked with my cast mate every day whilst on tour.
Love for food never leaves me!
Silvia’s Cucina is on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram
Silvia’s Cucina the cookbook is now available in stores and online!