Have you been looking for a last minute Valentine’s Day treat recipe? Have you forgotten about today or have you been in denial about it, only to wake up this morning feeling a slight sense of guilt because you didn’t get your better half any tokens of your appreciation? You are not alone! Welcome to my 6 am panicking thought “OMG, it’s Valentine’s Day and I forgot about it!”. And so, while my darling man was still soundly in bed, I quietly rushed downstairs, whipped up a batter in less than 5 minutes, allowed it to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes while running on the cross-trainer (all the while wearing a face mask to make myself look pretty for our romantic date later on in the day) and by the time I had my shower and got dressed, these chewy, delectable coconut bites were out of the oven ready to be drizzled with thick, syrupy dark chocolate. Talk about multitasking… Happy Valentine’s Day!
INGREDIENTS, makes 12 large cookies
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
2/3 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or paste
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
1. Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt for a couple of minutes or until soft peaks form.
2. Add the sugar, a little at a time and keep whipping the egg whites until thick and glossy.
3. Gently fold in the coconut and vanilla.
4. Dollop 1 tablespoon of mixture onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. MAke sure to leave them well distanced as they will grow a little whilst baking.
5. Rest in the fridge for 20 minutes. In the meantime, bring your oven temperature to 170 C (340 F).
6. Bake the macaroons for 20-25 minutes or until the bottom in dry and golden and the top is slightly browned and firm. They will feel a little soft but they will continue to firm up as they cool down, at room temperature.
7. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then drizzle with melted chocolate. Rest until the chocolate has hardened, then surprise you beloved with your home-baked, love-filled treat.
- Recipe: Salted Dark Chocolate Popcorn – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- 10 Red And Pink Superfoods For A Healthier Valentine’s Day (huffingtonpost.com)